[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Supplies

I have read the guide to getting neon power supplies for free.  I tried
to call the local neon shops, (there's only two within an hour of me),
and received response from only one of them.  I bought two 15 kv, 30 ma
units from a repair man for $30 a piece.  He has more, but I will have to
pay for them.  My problem is that one of them has burned out.  I unpotted
it, and it worked for a while.  I then ran my coil a bit, and one of the
windings burned (I mean FLAMES!).  It's now pretty much dead.  I still
have one transformer left, which I have since had to modify to keep it
working.  Does anybody have some neons (working units are preferred) that
they would like to part with.  I'm not sure what current shipping rates
are, but they are so heavy that it may be wise to buy them locally for 25
to 30 dollars rather than have them shipped.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

P.S.:  Once I get my coil working, I think I'll start working on a Van
DeGraaf Generator.  Can a neon be used for the power supply directly?
Any suggestions for a belt?  I have seen them in edmund scientific as
replacements for there $300 unit.  Thanx again!