[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: magnetic quenching & Body-discharges

On Thu, 7 Dec 1995 tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com wrote:

> I would add just a bit to Richard's explaination of the magnetic blow-out
> spark gaps. The mechanism behind this gap is the Lorentz force. Imagine the
> gap current flows in the x direction and the field lines from the magnet

How about (instead of expensive permanent magnets) if one were to use
a coil and iron-core to create a magnetic field - by, for example, leaving
a gap to the core and placing the spark-gap between this gap with
adequate insulations.. This way one could create quite interesting
magnetic fields (especially with LN2 immersed coils:) as the current
could be made to be high.. Any ideas why not? :) Of course, the
idea is quite impractical because if adds a great deal of
complexity to the design but it might be quite a performer with,
say a few Teslas of flux.density and air-blast between electrode-
surfaces.. Something like this:

   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
   XXXX            XXXX
 CCCCCCCC          XXXX
 CCCCCCCC       IIIIIIIIII
 CCCCCCCC      EEEEE  EEEEE
 CCCCCCCC     AAAAAA  AAAAAA
 CCCCCCCC      EEEEE  EEEEE
 CCCCCCCC       IIIIIIIIII
 CCCCCCCC          XXXX
   XXXX            XXXX
   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

( X core, C coil, E electrode, I insulation, A air-blast )

Ideas? (Design simplified, dimensions not correct)

Has anyone tried using oneself as the discharge-electrode in a
tesla-coil ? I'm talking about experiments like those in the
pictures of "Electricity at high pressures and frequencys" with
streamers coming from fingertips and nose etc.. I'd guess that
this has a limit of power-throughput where rf-burns start to
get induced.. It would be showy to use some Al-foil wrapped around
one's ankle and connected to the secondary-coil and then, while
standing insulated and safely away from grounded objects, having
streamers come from fingers etc. - I wouldn't like to try it thought,
without being certain of not getting fried.. :) The dangers I can
think of are : too much power -> burns etc., accidental introduction
of low-frequency elements to output (primary-secondary discharge) ->
zap, corona from delicate tissue causing damage to eyes etc..
(Of course, I'm propably just plain paranoid)

Thanks,

  Kristian Ukkonen.