[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Haunted Capacitors

> I have just been reading an interesting discussion on
> rec.pyrotechnics where they have been talking about high voltage
> capacitors that seem to recharge themselves after being discharged.
> Has anyone ever had this happen to them using Tesla coil
> capacitors?

I was one of the posters on rec.pyrotechnics, and yes, I have had it
happen with my Tesla coil.  I am running my system with caps on both
sides of the spark gap, which virtually guarantees a charge will be left
on the caps when you shut everything down since there is no direct
path to ground.  After discharging the caps, they will ocassionally
recharge themselves enough to give a spark when I discharge them
again before making any adjustments.

Steven Roys (sroys-at-radiology.ab.umd.edu)