[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TESLA MATH FORMULARY

    EXPLANATION OF EQUATIONS:

    x = Multiply by
    / = divide by ( may also use line seperating terms above and below
        line as in standard mathematics).
    ( ) = Terms in parentheses should be calculated first as in standard
           algebraic equations.
     pi = 3.141592654. The circumferance of a circle divided by it's
          diameter will always give you this constant.

    Z   = means the term "Z" multiplied by itself n times.

    Note: In some cases I do not use the symbol "x" but instead simply
          put the terms close together, example: "LC" instead of "L x C".
          This is standard for algebraic equations and means "multiply by".

    MATH FOR TESLA COILS

    1. Determine your neon sign transformer (or other transformer's)
       Impedence:

               Z  =  ---

    Z = Impedence
    E = volts
    I = current in Amps
    Note: divide milliamps by 1000 to get Amps. 30 milliamps = .030 Amps.

    The Impedence of the primary capacitor should match the Impedence of the
    transformer at 60 Hz (60 Hz is the AC cycle rate of common household
    wall sockets, at least in America).

    2. To match Impedence and determine capacitor value:

                           1
             C =   -------------------
                   2 x pi x Z x .00006

     C = capacitance in microfarads needed for primary capacitor.
     Z = Impedence from equation one (Transformer Impedence)
    pi = 3.141592654
    Note: The .00006 is the 60 Hz AC, if you live outside the US then
          substitute your cycle rate.

    Next you need to find the Reactance of the primary capacitor at the
    frequency you have choosen. Many times the frequency is decided by the
    length of wire used on the secondary coil. See below for equations that
    determine frequency by length of wire used on secondary.
    When we find the Reactance , we can then find your needed Inductance
    for the Primary coil.

    3. To determine Reactance of capacitor:

                        1
            X(C) = ---------------
                   2 x pi x C x F

     X(C) = capacitor Reactance
        C = Capacitor value in microfarads, from equation 2)
        F = Frequency in Mhz (megahertz)
       pi = 3.141592654
     Note: To convert kilohertz to megahertz simply divide by 1000.
           190 Khz = .190 Mhz

     4. To determine the Inductance needed for Primary coil:

        Set X(L) = X(C)

                     X(L)
              L = ------------
                  2 x pi x F

       L = Inductance in microhenries needed for Primary Coil.
           To get millihenries divide the answer by 1000.
    X(L) = Reactance from equation 3, same as X(C).
       F = frequency in Megahertz.  Divide Khz by 1000 to get Mhz.
      pi = 3.141592654

    Now you know the values for your capacitor and primary coil. These
    values will give you the best ringing for your circuit (ie. more bang
    for your buck)! Use the equations below to finnish the project.

    Note: Many people don't go to the trouble to work these equations out.
    They simply slap the parts together and then try to tune. If you work
    the equations out first you will save lots of time in tuning, you will
    at least be in the right ball park! Also, just because you worked it
    out on paper that doesn't mean it will work the first time you plug it
    in. Trial and error is a large part of the Tesla Coil hobby!

    CAPACITORS IN PARALLEL:
                                             |      |
                                             |__C1__|
                                             |      |
                                             |__C2__|
                                             |      |
                                             |__C3__|
                                             |      |
    Capacitance = C1 + C2 + C3, etc...

    Maximum voltage rating will be equal to the voltage rating of the
    lowest voltage capacitor of the group.
    CAPACITORS IN SERIES:
                                             |              |
                                             |__C1__C2__C3__|
                                             |              |
                                             |              |

                       1     1     1
    Capacitance = 1 / --- + --- + ---, etc...
                      C1    C2    C3

    The total capacitance of several capacitors in series will always be
    LESS than that of the smallest capacitor.

    Total voltage rating increases with number of capacitors in series.
    Simply add the voltage ratings together.
    When capacitors are placed in series to increase voltage rating they
    should have the same capacitance and voltage rating else voltages will
    divide unevenly, most likely causing failure.
    EQUATION 1:  PLATE TYPE CAPACITORS

    Capacitance (in microfarads) = (0.224 KA / d) (N-1)

        0.224 x Dielectric Strength x Area of plate
    C = -----------------------------------------  x (Number of plates - 1)
          distance between plates in inches

    NOTE: For two plate rolled capacitors the value derived from this
          formula must be multiplied by two, or, the value must be computed
          with the number of plates (N) equal to three (3), so (N-1 = 2)
    EQUATION 2: LEYDEN JAR or SALT WATER TYPE CAPACITORS (jar/bottle type)

                        2
    C = .0884 k ( pi  r   + 2  pi  r  l )
         ------------------------------
                 1,000,000 t

    C = Capacitance in microfarads
    k = dielectric strength
    r = jar radius in centimeters
    l = height of the jar portion used (in centimeters)
    t = thickness of the jar wall in centimeters
   pi = 3.141592654

      2
    r   = r x r  (radius squared)

    EQUATION 3: FREQUENCY OF A CIRCUIT

                 1
    f =  --------------------
                 __________
         2 pi   / L C

    f = frequency in cycles per second
    L = circuit inductance in henries
    C = circuit capacitance in farads
   pi = 3.141592654

                  _________
    The symbol " /          " means the square root
    For a result "f" in Khz: enter "C" in microfarads, "L" in microhenries
    and multiply result by 1000.
    EQUATION 4: INDUCTANCE OF A FLAT PANCAKE COIL

    Picture a 1 inch flat ribbon that is about 30 feet long. Now, roll
    that ribbon into a spiral that has all its sides about 1/2 inch apart.
    Most common material is Aluminum Roof Flashing. Use plastic bolts to
    hold sections of strips together if you have short pieces of ribbon.
    This makes a good mechanical connection (you can't solder aluminum).

                                  center axis

                                  |                        of flat spiral
                         |---A----|    |---W---|           coil.

           2         2
         a     x   n
    L = ---------------
         8 a   +   11w

    L = inductance in microhenries.
    a = average radius in inches as measured from the central axis to
        the middle of the winding.
    n = number of turns in the winding.
    w = width of the coil in inches.
    Note: Make sure you measure "a" from center axis - the very middle
          of your secondary sitting inside of your primary.

    EQUATION 5: NUMBER OF TURNS FOR A HELICAL PRIMARY
                 _________________________
                /
      N =     /  L  [( 9 x R) + (10 x H)]
             /  --------------------------
           /            2
        \/            R

    N = Number of turns needed.
    L = inductance in microhenries desired.
    R = radius (inches).
    H = height (inches).

                  _________
    The symbol " /          " means the square root, in this case of whole
    equation.

    EQUATION 5: LENGTH OF WIRE NEEDED FOR DESIRED FREQUENCY OF COIL

            300,000
    L =     -------  / 4 x (3 / .9144)

    f = frequency, in Khz, that is desired for coil.
    L = length of wire needed, in feet, for desired frequency.
    / = divided by.

    Note - 300,000 is the speed of light in Kilometers per second. the
           term "3/.9144" is a conversion factor to turn meters to feet.
           You don't have to understand this. Just thought I would tell
           those who were wondering.

    EQUATION 6: FRQUENCY OF COIL

                  300,000
    f =  ------------------------------
         T x W x pi x (.9144 / 36) x 4

    f = frequency of coil in Khz
    T = number of turns on coil
    W = width of the coil in inches
   pi = 3.141592654

    EQUATION 7: CAPACITANCE OF A SPHERE IN SPACE

    C =   -------
                9
          9 x 10

    C = capacitance in Farads
    R = radius in meters

        9
    9x10  = 9,000,000,000
                                                                6
    Note: To convert Farads to microfarads simply multiply by 10   or in
          other words by 1,000,000.

    EQUATION 8: CAPACITANCE OF A SPHERE SUSPENDED IN A DIELECTRIC

          K x R
    C = ---------
               9
        9 x 10

    C = capacitance in Farads
    R = radius in meters
    K = dielectric constant
                                                                6
    Note: To convert Farads to microfarads simply multiply by 10   or in
          other words by 1,000,000.

    EQUATION 9: CAPACITANCE OF A TOROID
                                                    ___________________
                                                   /    2
         C =(1+ (0.2781 - d2/d1)) x  2.8  x      /  2 pi  (d1-d2)(d2/2)
                                               /   -------------------
                                            \/      4 pi

     C = capacitance in picofarads (+- 5% )
    d1 = outside diameter of toroid in inches
    d2 = diameter of cross section (cord) of toroid in inches

    Equation courtesy of Bert Pool

    EQUATION 10: POWER FACTOR CORRECTION FOR NEON SIGN TRANSFORMERS

    Neons typically have an efficiency of about 50%, in that they
    draw twice as much power as they put out. This problem can be
    resolved with the use of power factor correction (pfc) capaci-
    tance across the line. The pfc capacitors used are the same as
    for capacitor starting motors. The voltage rating should be at
    least twice the line current used, and I like a 4x voltage margin
    for long life. The formula used to determine ballpark pfc is as
    follows:
                                    9
                                  10^
              C = Corrected kVA  ------ 2
                                 2(pi)fe^

    This should read C = Corrected kVA times (10 to the ninth power)
                         over, (2 pi times f times e squared)

    C = required capacitance in microfarads
    f = frequency of applied voltage
    e = applied voltage

    CORRECTED KVA is determined by dividing the corrected power factor
    output of the neon sign xfrmr (below) by 1000

                 Corrected Power Factor

        Secondary Rating         Volt-Amps
             kV,mA

             15,120                 900
             15,60                  450
             15,30                  250
             12,120                 775
             12,60                  400
             12,30                  200
              9,120                 600
              9,60                  300
              9,30                  150
            7.5,120                 500
            7.5,60                  250
            7.5,30                  125
              6,60                  200
              6,30                  100

    Equation courtesy of Richard Quick

 This was originally from Keelynet I think. I cut it down quite a bit
 to produce a file that covers only the math. RQ
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12