[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Group Archives

TE>From richard.quick-at-slug-dot-org Thu Aug 10 01:12 MDT 1995

TE>Quoting Jim Oliver:

TE> JO> good. Do you think a specific heading for "Important
TE> JO> formulas" (to calculate the main parameters) should be

TE>Not as effectively as including a math section. I have an ASCII
TE>math file that I can upload as a post to the group. Additions can
TE>be made by various members and the expanded file can be included
TE>as part of the FAQ.

We now all have that, thanks Richard.

TE> JO> It's been said before that coiling as we do it is a "sort of
TE> JO> art", but it's important in any serious study to separate
TE> JO> the art from the science. The construction of Tesla coils
TE> JO> should not be seen totally as an "art" in itself, this is

TE>I don't think that any person would dispute that Tesla was, and
TE>remains, the supreme master of resonate coil systems. Yet Tesla
TE>left no math legacy. Tesla was not a mathematician. In fact

He was a brilliant man for sure.

TE>In the CSN (Colorado Springs Notes) Tesla laid out a lot of coil
TE>math. In the commentary by Aleksandar Marincic, Assoc. Prof. of
TE>EE Beograd Univ., many of Tesla's mathematical errors are pointed
TE>out. Other's came along much later and began to decipher the

Which more or less proves your point. He did'nt rely on maths for
his answers.

TE>mathematics of Tesla coil components, but nobody has produced a
TE>set of definitive equations that accurately predict the
TE>performance of Tesla systems.

But some come very close. Your comments about getting the coil
running right THEN predicting from first principles I would guess
is pretty accurate in all the papers I have read. There's always
a fiddle factor or some other type of practical detail that is
never predicted BEFORE the event.

TE>Dr. James and Kenneth Corum are probably the two of the best
TE>Tesla mathematicians on the planet today. In their book, "VACUUM

TE>The coil was a disastrous failure. It refused to tune. It refused
TE>to quench. When fired, the entire system with extra coil operated

Thats a fascinating story Richard.

TE>So much for using coil math to directly design coil systems. IMHO

I didn't actually say that math ONLY is used, I said it's an
interesting and intriguing blend of both art and science.

TE>I could also point out that there is at this moment a HUGE debate
TE>going on as to the theoretical treatment of Tesla coil systems.
TE>One side of the debate states emphatically that Tesla coils are
TE>best described mathematically by transmission line theory. The
TE>other side states that Tesla coils are best described as lumped
TE>tuned circuits.

Do you have any references Richard ? I would love to read about
this too.

TE>Both sides have valid points. Neither view completely explains
TE>what is going on. Even basic Tesla coil systems have yet to be
TE>accurately mathematically described.

Before they are built possibly, but afterwards is a different
story. I've seen pages of maths to describe the working models. I
don't fully understand the math myself !

TE>the size, or power levels, up and down will throw everything off.
TE>Despite what anyone says, coil designs that are derived primarily
TE>from mathematical calculations will not function well.

Ain't the truth, and the intrigue.

TE> JO> "Tweaking" in the end will produce results, but this
TE> JO> tweaking is always the result of experience _and_ science.
TE> JO> One can get there much quicker by accepting and using a
TE> JO> certain number of basic formulae.

TE>Nobody can tweak or tune a coil faster mathematically than I can
TE>with a glance. This may sound conceited, but I challenge anybody

Anyone who can do it over Internet as well as you Richard, has my
vote

TE>to come even close. In my mind, Tesla coils are an art form. Once

Up to a point they are. Painting or drawing is an art, there's no
science there. Building Tesla coils goes best if one has an
understanding of the basic science involved. It has become second
nature to you Richard, you _know_ what to do. Lots of us out here
haven't spent enough time with it to develop that sixth sense
yet.

TE>they are up and tuned perfectly, then I can get out the
TE>calculator to explain what I did.

Very true.

TE>wire wound). I charted my data, then compared my charts to the
TE>computer simulations. Finally I abandoned the computer and relied
TE>on the charts. I guess it was not long before I memorized and

Another chapter for the book - CHARTS (My Special Ones) :-)

TE> JO> (Out of interest some of these <mathematically designed
TE> JO> coils?> use up to 100kV into 20 microfarad for the primary

TE>Yet Tesla was exceeding these voltages, (and RMS amps too I would
TE>guess) in 1899 with wooden coil forms and gutta-percha insulated

These refs referr to beam instruments and were not designed for
the same reasons as Tesla had in building his.

(cont in next message)

Jim Oliver <jim.oliver-at-welcom.gen.nz> (3:771/370)

 * SLMR 2.1a *