Date: Sat, 10 Dec 1994 20:09:58 +0200 (EET)
From: Kristian Tapani Ukkonen <kukkonen-at-snakemail.hut.fi>
To: Richard Quick <richard.quick-at-slug.st-louis.mo.us>
Subject: RE: TESLA-COILS ETC.

On Sat, 10 Dec 1994, Richard Quick wrote:

> Richard Hull refuses to use an E-Mail address so you will have to
> send him a letter air mail. He has an extensive Tesla video library
> that is nothing short of superb.

I'll send him the letter..

>  Ku> That is fine - can I mail you the converted images as mime-packages
>  Ku> or can you get them from the ftp-site? (ftp.funet.fi) ?
> I would prefer if they were mailed to me. I am new at this, and do not
> have on-line real-time access to the internet.

Ok, that is fine.. Can your post-program handle mime-packages?

> Well I am not sure what ftp is, so I can't say if the data is
> "ftp:able". But the files are in the public domain and I have
> placed no restrictions on them other than the content not be altered.

I already got the files via e-mail..

Ftp means simply File Transfer Protocol - that is a standard way
of transporting files on unix machines and there's a great number
of anonymous-ftp-sites where people have gathered many gigabytes
of files to be downloaded by anyone with ftp..

> 16cm diameter secondary coil is fine. The coil should be lengthened
> to around 75cm or so, giving an aspect ratio (height to diameter) of
> around 4.5 : 1 for this diameter. You planned wire diameter is way
> too small. Please check my figures but: I would never wind any coil
> with a wire diameter less than .025 inches which I convert to .635mm.
> I would not use .3mm wire for any coil unless it was for some very
> specific experiment, and the experiment required a tiny coil. Use
> from 900 - 1000 turns (approximate) and a wire diameter closer to
> .635mm or a little larger.

Ok, then I'll wind a new coil..

Could I use castable plastic (polyester-based) to insulated the
secondary? (the plastic is cured by adding methyl-ethyl-ketone (sp?))

> 8 mm hollow copper tubing is OK, but I would go with 9 - 10 mm
> outside diameter copper tubing for the primary conductor. I figured
> a little closer to 24 cm for the inner diameter. I never wind a
> primary any longer that has less the 15 turns. I would expand the
> outer diameter accordingly.

Should this be flat-spiral or a "cone" like you've described? How
exactly do you wind the 10mm dia tube to get a nice spiral - is
there some "easy" trick?

> DO NOT USE PVC (Poly-Vinyl-Chloride) for capacitor dielectrics!
> The capacitor dielectric must be a low loss material (we are talking

Just guess who bought the pvc before reading your articles :(

> RF losses) such as: Teflon, polyethylene, polystyrene, or polypropy-
> lene, which are much more satisfactory. In addition to being high loss,

Teflon is _expensive_ to the extreme but the others can be handled..

What do you think - should I stick to the plate-cap or is a rolled one
(like what you've described) - is the difference that big?

As I haven't been able to find "Al flashing" - can I use .1 mm thick
copper instead or is there some reason (expect price) to prefer Al?
(the copper-sheet is 33cm wide).. Copper could be soldered as well to
get easy connections..

> This will start you out. You will want to add a larger toroid, and then
> a larger capacitor ( the .03 ) to bring this coil up to peak performance.

How big a toroid would that be?

> It will work, but a series of gaps will work much better and put
> less strain on the capacitor dielectric. I have two, GIF format
> digital image files that detail two very simple, but much better,
> gap designs. Send me your mailing address. The spark gap plans and
> some good wiring diagrams are on my Tesla Archives disk. I would
> be happy to send you a copy airmail.

My snail-mail address:

Kristian Ukkonen
Pikkupiiantie 2
FIN-06400  PORVOO
FINLAND, EUROPE

Are the pictures cldndr.gif and airblst.gif? Jim Oliver has already
mailed me one disk with lots of your articles and the pics.. The
newest file on the disk was dated 25.9.94..

> Do my suggestions/replys sound reasonable?

Yes, they do - and I already knew some of the answers in advance, as
you have answered the same questions on your previous articles..

> I would try to grab four of the oil-burner xfmrs, and use heavy RF
> choking to protect the high voltage windings.

About the chokes - toroid cores are dirty expensive - but if I were
to use "cylinder" cores - will they not be affected by the fields
around them? (toroid will not, but..)

How big chokes should I use?

> A fatter coil tends to be much higher Q, and it also couples better
> with the primary. But too fat and the coil overcouples, the coil
> frequency "splits" and the coil begins to break down electricaly. Also

I fully agree with you on this one too - A friend of mine tried to run
a secondary identical to mine and it got destroyed pretty quickly..

RQ> I leave an extension (or "tail") of wire at the top of the coil.
RQ> I "air wind" this extension up to the toroid. The air wound turns
RQ> are the same diameter as the secondary winding, or slightly
RQ> smaller. The turns (2 - 4 in number) are widely spaced. The wire
RQ> meets the toriod  off center, but it may then be brought directly
RQ> in to the center of  the toroid for a hard connection. The ideal
RQ> distance from the top of the secondary to the toroid is best
RQ> determined experimentally, the ideal distance and will change
RQ> with power levels and toriod size.

"center of the toroid" - what do you regard as a toroid - a "donut"
shape? - in fact, this was interesting in your article about making
the toroid - do you consider a toroid with a conductive center-plate
as a "toroid"? (a mathematical toroid does not have a "center-plate")

>Ahhh, another person seeking Tesla's "Holy Grail". I will comment.

No, I'm not seeking on building something to destroy the earth :) -
I was just rather surprised to find the things about Tesla like
that with quotations from Tesla himself..

Thanks a lot for your answers!

Yours,

  Kristian.
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12