Date: Wed, 21 Dec 1994 17:19:38 +0200 (EET)
From: Kristian Tapani Ukkonen <kukkonen-at-snakemail.hut.fi>
To: Richard Quick <richard.quick-at-slug.st-louis.mo.us>
Subject: Cap design (fwd)

Hi!

I decided to mail you this message again, as I haven't heard of
you for a while.. If you are busy and have not had the time
to answer the previous version - then I'm sorry to bother you
with this re-mailed version..

< here comes >

I just re-read your description of the rolled 20nF 12kVac cap
a few times again.. I'd like to ask you about a few little things
on the design:

Does one not roll the poly-Al-poly-Al sheets on some tube?

Why is the cap so large in outer diameter? Is this to enable
efficient oil circulation?

What is the inner diameter of the rolled sheets?

You do think that one cap like that will do for my purposes -
using it with a pile of 10kV oil-burner x-formers..

Another text-file about making hv-caps states that oil will
diffuse through the pvc - have you perceived this effect?

You mentioned that one should wash the ldpe-sheets with
alcohol - I've found that pe does not endure methanol -
is iso-propanol suitable?

I really haven't found any reasonably priced paraffin oil
to be used for filling the cap.. I guess that standard
Shell Diala x-former oil will do.. (?)

If I won't be able to find any ldpe with sufficient thickness -
could I use hdpe-plates (1,5mm thick) and make a stacked cap
of them - if (as:) so, would this assembly sound reasonable:
I'd use two 6 meters long (16 cm wide) sheet of .1 mm copper-foil
and a lot of 18*18cm hdpe-plates and use "continuos" plates aka
I'd connect the foil from all four directions - with two of
these connected together and the others together too.. Did you
get the picture?

(about the primary)
What would be the relation between the "angle" of the cone and the
size of the toroid? I might as well make a bigger toroid as that
is not difficult..

What exactly have you used as a frame for your primaries? I've thought
about fiber-glass tubes but they are not suitable for a cone-shaped
form as they can't be bend..

I used Teslaci.exe to approximate what a 10kV 80mA transformer could
run and the program stated that 18 nF would be maximum.. Does this
sound reasonable?
(I'd need 6 oil-burner transformers to use 20nF)

Thanks in advance!

Yours,

  Kristian.
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12