[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: T.C. design

 -=> Quoting Nikola Tesla (chip Atkinson to Tesla List <=-

 NT(A> T(A> Message-ID: <9411290042.AA13854-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com>
 NT(A> Newsgroups: tesla.list

 NT(A> From chip Mon Nov 28 17:40 MST 1994
 NT(A> Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 17:40:08 +0700
 NT(A> From: chip (Chip Atkinson)
 NT(A> To: tesla
 NT(A> Subject: T.C. design

 NT(A> Greetings,

 NT(A> Could someone offer some pointers on Tesla coil design? I am mainly
 NT(A> concerned with two topics: design sequence, and performance enhancing
 NT(A> techniques. The design sequence that I plan on taking is geared towards
 NT(A> using the materials
 NT(A> at hand.  The performance enhancing techniques are things to consider
 NT(A> when designing the coil.  That being said, here's what I am planning on
 NT(A> doing:
 NT(A> Coil design:
 NT(A> Given a bunch of 22 ga. magnet wire and a 4" thin wall PVC pipe for
 NT(A> a form, design a coil that works well.  I plan on figuring out
 NT(A> if the wire diameter will allow between 400 and 1000 turns and
 NT(A> produce a coil with a height to width ratio of about 4:1.
 NT(A> Then, calculate this length, and figure out the 1/4 wave frequency
 NT(A> based on this length.  Given the frequency, coil size, and number
 NT(A> of turns, find the inductance.  Then calculate the capacitance
 NT(A> that is needed to make the LC secondary circuit oscillate at the
 NT(A> desired frequency.  Then, once I have the secondary designed,
 NT(A> design the primary coil so that it is about 3x the diameter of the
 NT(A> secondary coil.  Figure out the size of the capacitor that I need
 NT(A> based on the size of the primary coil and my transformer output.

 NT(A> Now the question:  Does anyone who has successfully designed a tesla
 NT(A> coil see any problems with this approach?

  I don't see a problem with that approach except that I would like to see
  the 1/4 wave wire length based frequency approach on the secondary thrown
  out! The secondary coil winding is an ELECTRICAL 1/4 WAVE not a physical
  1/4 wave and there is a BIG difference! If you design for a physical 1/4
  wave your actual secondary frequency will be way off and thus the design
  of the primary circuit. Proper coil design after the power level is
  determined, should start with the secondary coil. My design program TESLAC
  treats the secondary as a resonator, and its frequency calculations are
  FRIGHTFULLY close, download version 2.01 from the DATABANK BBS, or let
  me know and I'll send you a copy it is freeware. I think 22 ga. wire would
  be better suited on a 6" dia form.

                                Mark Graalman

 NT(A> Performance:
 NT(A> I frequently read that the old coil designs are less efficient than
 NT(A> the modern ones.  The question is why?  Is it strictly the materials,
 NT(A> or is it some choice bits of knowledge such as "don't make your
 NT(A> coil over 4 times taller than it is wide".  I would appreciate it if
 NT(A> I could hear about specific design enhancements made to the primary/
 NT(A> secondary system designs.  I figure that I can get the spark gaps
 NT(A> figured out later, though that may not be a good idea:  perhaps a
 NT(A> coil system is also designed around a specific type of spark gap.

  I would say mainly materials, and winding technique, as well as small
  terminal capacitances, were the big down fall of early coils.

                              Mark Graalman

 NT(A> Background info:  I built a working 3" dia. tesla coil from the TCBA
 NT(A> news. It works great, but now I want to go to something slightly bigger
 NT(A> that I  designed by myself.
 NT(A> I can use the design programs, but I would like to know how to do it
 NT(A> first.
 NT(A> Any and all comments are appreciated.

 NT(A> Chip
 NT(A> before I use a "crutch".

          I consider TESLAC to be a tool, not a "crutch" it assists in coil
          design, it won't do it for you.

                              Mark Graalman

... Mark the spark
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12